Sunday 11 September 2011

50s Gingham Shirt Dress

Inspired by Betty Draper from Mad Men I wanted to make a classic fifties sleeveless shirt dress made from a traditional gingham material with a cute peter pan collar. I found this dress pretty tricky to make as I haven't made a shirt before. I used a classic shirt pattern from my book to draft the pattern and then mixed and matched different pattern drafting together. Again I just gathered the shirt so that was pretty simple but I had to make a button stand which was new for me again! I found this slightly tricky as I had to make sure I had enough buttons going up the shirt so that people wouldn't be able to see my bra........or worse! I was also inspired by a lady sewer on sew retro who made a baby blue shirt dress which looked really cute and very well made. I decided I wanted it to look cute and so thought putting a bit more of detail on it would add a special touch to it, so I just sewed a pretty lace trimming around the hem of the dress. Unfortunately I haven't taken photos of this properly so it's just one of my mannequin for now, better photos to follow!


This is Only in the Making but better pictures to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment