Saturday 8 October 2011

Simple Jersey Spotted Dress

Like the pattern before I decided to make another dress with a circle skirt. However I wanted to try challenging myself and use a fabric I hadn't used before, stretch jersey. I hadn't decided on the bodice part but I knew I wanted short sleeves so that did limit my options as such.

I started with the quarter circle skirt, did want a half circle but didn't actually have enough fabric! Once I had made the skirt I started to think about the bodice and just made a generic bodice from my blocks and though when I had that sewn together and on the mannequin it would make it easier to see what kind of bodice I wanted.

I then made some simple short sleeves and sewed them onto the bodice too. I started to manipulate the bodice by chopping off the sleeves to make them shorter and so more like cap sleeves, then I proceeded to cut down into the neckline giving it a more desirable neck shape. I made it into a sweetheart neckline and a small scoop at the back of the bodice. Pleased with my design I started to sew the bodice and the skirt together, and because the fabric was a stretch Jersey there were no need for buttons or zips, simply put it over your head!


Front View of Dress

 Back View of Dress


Sweetheart Neckline


Detail of Sleeve

No comments:

Post a Comment